Thursday, November 13, 2008

Time to Vote

Sure, November 4th was a monumental day in our nation's history, but once again it's time to vote.  The NHL all-star voting is in full swing and Mikko Koivu needs your support. 

Speaking of hockey; The backyard  rink is now complete and being filled. As I type, the hose is on full bore and the rink is becoming a pool. The weather forecast calls for 6 out of the next 10 days to be below freezing and if that holds, we might have ice before Thanksgiving. The tricky part will be keeping all the debris, falling leaves and pine needles, out of the water while it freezes. I will be looking at getting some waders and "dragging" the water with a fishing net to remove as much of the leaves as I can. After it freezes, a shovel will keep the debris out.  This is the earliest the rink has gone in and I might be jumping the gun a bit, but my hope is if we do have a warm up, I can keep everyone off until it refreezes.

On to the really important stuff. Took a blow today on the job front. The University of Minnesota had an open position in the Institute on the Environment for a multimedia producer. Fabulous position, fell completely in the wheel house of matching skills and interest and would have afforded the opportunity to work and go back to school. That would have been perfect, however on the same day I found the position it was filled. So back to the grind. The resume is completely updated and I think looks pretty good, and I'm trying to get more word out there in an attempt to network my way into positions of interest.

Speaking of interest, I have been asked by the Al Franken campaign to assist with the recount. Starting on the 18th, ballots will be recounted across the state and at this point, Al is currently 206 votes down. If things hold true to form, that number will swing wildly as the recount gets into full swing. Back when I was producing the Kent Hrbek Show I had talked both campaigns into going fishing with Kent for what I was calling a KHO fish off. The plan, take each guy out, fish with them on Lake Minnetonka, chat with them about outdoor issues, and see who could catch the biggest fish. The problem, Kent himself backed out. Would have made for great rating, I would probably still have my job and since I was producing, I think I could have swayed about 206 votes.  (My gut tells me that Al could have out-fished Norm any day of the week). So on Saturday I go for some training and then on Tuesday I spend the day helping recount the votes and challenging those ballots that should or should not count. The process will most likely take 2-1/2 weeks, but I need to focus on the job search so I'll probably put in about 2 days.... unless of course it leads to a position itself... which ultimately would be a good thing.

Speaking of a good thing... here's a question for you. How much should parents do in helping their kids get there homework projects done? Case in point, on Monday the Eldest and his friend Justin got together to complete a history assignment about the Civil War. They were to be news-reporters and file a report from the battlefield. Topics they choose to discuss, Fort Sumpter, Bull Run, Emancipation Proclamation etc... They wrote out the whole thing, and had an idea of how they wanted it to turn out. I said, reporting, video... hey I can help. They said "we want to include pictures and music", and I said I can help. Well 10-12 hours of editing, $20 worth of blank DVDs  later I put together a Ken Burns type documentary with their work. I have a feeling, it will be the most polished work turned in, but I'm sure the Eldest's teacher will question his involvement. He was very involved, but did not stay up until 3am editing the piece. Of course, if I had access to editing equipment that I had worked with before it wouldn't have taken as long, but instead I was learning how to edit with iMovie on the Mac... and found a few limitations. (I want Final Cut for my birthday) But it was a lot of fun and I hope, for his grades sake, it was worth the effort. So again... how much parent involvement in preparing you children to succeed in school?

Finally, speaking of school, tomorrow I explore continuing school for a teaching degree, just to get the info. Might be another blog with that one.... peace!


2 comments:

Lucas said...

Deeg,
I can't comment on the kid help as my only child wears a fur coat and sleeps 22 hours a day which leave little time for schooling. But I think it will depend on the teachers gut feeling of your boy. If she suspects he's the kind to try to weasle out of work, she might be suspicious but if she knows him to be a hard worker then she may just think he went above and beyond the assignment to enlist some extra help. Time will tell.

As for the rink, I'll be stopping by sometime this weekend with The Captain just to check out the progress. Let me know when the first "adult skate" is and I'll be lacing up! :)

Hang in there on the job front. I have a feeling you guys are getting kicked in the teeth because something great is around the corner.

The Pirate of Selby Avenue said...

I dunno about Al out-fishing Norm. Remember all those fishing trips Norm got to take with convicted felon Ted Stevens and oil company lobbyists? He's probably had more practice over the last few years.